If trying to inject a certificate with the MOMCertImport.exe tool on your server and you get the error
MOMCertImport.exe tool error: ‘The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click OK to terminate the application.’
Try the following workaround which worked for me:-
Process 1: Finding out the serial number of the certificate:
- Open the MMC, add a snap-in. Select Certificates for the Computer Account. Go to Personal, expand it and select the certificate OpsMgr will use.
- Double click it and go to the second tab, ‘Details‘.
- The second entry has the field name ‘Serial Number’. Write it down or use the button ‘Copy To File’. The latter is the best option since no errors will be made with the serial number.
Process 2: Adding the found serial number in REVERSE order in the registry:
- Open the registry
- Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft OperationsManager\3.0\Machine Settings
- Create here a new sub-regkey with a Binary Value, named ChannelCertificateSerialNumber
- Put here the earlier found serial number of the Certificate. Remember to REVERSE the order. Do not use spaces, these will be added automatically. Example: suppose the serial number is 34 56 85, you must enter it as 85 56 34. DO NOT REVERSE THE ORDER OF THE DIGITS IN THE PAIRS!
Now the health service can be restarted. Soon enough EventID 20053 will show up, telling that the certificate has been successfully loaded. When EventID 20066 is displayed instead of it, the wrong serial number has been entered into the registry. Go back and double check it.
This worked a treat for me when the MOMCertImport.exe would not work.